Friday, December 11, 2015

Blog Assignment # 7 Final Blog Post


                                                 I Hate Goodbyes...


   This semester of creative nonfiction afforded me a confirmation on what I had already believed. Creative writing is truly an art form. As an English major, I've written hundreds of  essays and papers, all following the time tested guideline of thesis, body, conclusion. And while I was good at them, I never felt anything for them. It was all too uniform, too impersonal. This class offered me a space to break that convention and truly make and witness art. Witness the writing styles of my fellow classmates made me feel as if we bonded in a way that was much personal. To view someones writing is like a peek into their soul, a peek into who they are and what they feel, and while it is scary to give someone that type of access, I truly believe we are all the better for it.


   As for my own writing, it was exhilarating to create a world out of real life experiences. That is an aspect that you might not fully appreciate when writing works of fiction. One expects it to be grandiose and whimsical. But to make magic out of the real world, is a gift and has made me look back at all of the individual spaces of time in my past and seeing how a story can be made. Ive never felt such freedom before, and to be honest... I don't know if i can go back to strict academia style writing. Every thing that I have written in this class had a small piece of "me" in it. a style that can't be replicated and mass produced. Everything meant something here. And it all becomes so much more real when it is put out in the real, or digital world. to have world fly out of your head endlessly at one moment, only to spent up to 15 minutes trying to make a sentence work perfectly... I felt like a director. And whose to say I'm not? That we all aren't? This is a class that lets one make fantasy out of reality. And I hate to see it go. As i'm writing this last piece for the class, it's bittersweet. But i've gained something amazing here. Something that I'll keep forever. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment